USEFUL WRITTEN RESOURCES on GENTRIFICATION and other stuff:
To be honest, this is a pretty random
selection of stuff disaster. We have probably 100’s of texts and dozens of books on regeneration and gentrification. One day, when we feel relaxed and calm, we will update this page and make it more focused. Holding your breath for this day, not advised!!
The following will download as PDF’s that you can read on a computer or print out if you are able too.
• HOUSING CRISIS – A great introduction from 2012 to the crazy and tough times ahead for Council tenants, Housing Association tenants, those on Housing Benefit, homeless people and those who live in empty properties. Published as a magazine by Corporate Watch: Here Housing Crisis 2012
• GENTRIFICATION – Lees, Slater & Wyly here (book)
• GENTRIFICATION AND DISPLACEMENT here (article)
• SOFTSELLING GENTRIFICATION – Glynn here (article)
• NEW GLOBALISM, NEW URBANISM: GENTRIFICATION AS A GLOBAL URBAN STRATEGY – Smith here (article)
• REAPPRAISAL OF GENTRIFICATION – Lees here (article)
• FROM CRITICAL URBAN THEORY TO RIGHT TO THE CITY – Marcuse here (article)
• NEW RETAIL CAPITAL AND NEIGHBOURHOOD CHANGE: BOUTIQUES AND GENTRIFICATION IN NEW YORK CITY – Sharon Zukin Essay here
• THE RIGHT TO THE CITY – Harvey here (article)
• THE NEW URBAN FRONTIER – Smith here (book)
• LONDON CALLING, THE MIDDLE CLASSES AND THE REMAKING OF LONDON – Butler here (book)
• STUDENTIFICATION: THE GENTRIFICATION FACTORY – Smith here (article)
Peter Marcuse, Margit Mayer, Susan Fainstein, David Harvey and Neil Smith: The concluding panel of all day Radical Urbanism conference December 12, 2008 about The Right To The City here.
101 Notes on The Los Angeles Tenants Union (2019). One of the best attempts to rethink ‘housing struggles’ in relation to the current moment and from the perspective of the tenants – defined as anyone who doesn’t control their own housing!
101 Notes on the LATU